Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Day 2 - Top 10 books of 2014

Hi guys! This is Day 9 of the Winter Re-Read-a-Thon and Day 2 of the My Year in Books week! Today I am going to do my Top 10 of 2014. I was originally planning to do a top 14 of 2014, but I felt like that was too many books, so we're down to 10.

10. In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken
I actually read this not too long ago, and it was definitely my favorite of the series. I was a bit surprised because I know how dystopian governments can be very hard to wrap up believably, and Alexandra Bracken definitely accomplished that. This book was gritty and dark, but has slivers of hope that I thought was very fitting.

9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
What made this book my favorite of this series was the amount of action and heartbreak in it. Specifically, the Battle of Hogwarts. The characters gets so baddass (Neville!)

8. Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
I really enjoyed this book due to the sheer amount of funny dialogues and sass in this book. Harper, the main character can be seen as self-centered, but I liked her. This book made me smile and laugh a whole lot, and that is always a plus.

7. Champion by Marie Lu
I know that this book has a lot of people unsatisfied because of the ending, but I really liked it. Again, it is really tough to wrap up a good dystopian, and I thought that the ending was the right amount heartbreak and hope, and it was so clever!

6. Lola and the Boy Next Door
I also read this one not too long ago and loved it. Lately I've been thinking about giving up on contemporaries due to the lack of 5-stars ratings that I've given to them, but this book changed my mind. I've never read any contemporary that made me so happy and giddy in a long while.

5. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
I'm pretty surprised that a contemporary made it this far on the list, but here it is. I've realized that I like books with heavier topics and ones that ate darker, so this book is definitely one of them. I loved the relationship between Noah and June, and it was beautiful, seeing them heal together.

4. The House of Hades by Rick Riordan
It was really tough to pick one from the 13 books of Rick Riordan's books that I read this year, but this came to be my favorite. I just really liked the setting of Tartarus since it's fresh, and I feel like the 7 grew to themselves a lot in this book.


3. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
After reading this book, Throne of Glass immediately became one of my favorite series. In this book, Celaena became the kickass assassin that we were promised. Sarah J. Maas is always outdoing herself with each book in the series, and I already gave Throne of Glass 5 stars, so you can imagine how many stars I wanted to gave this book.

2. Cress by Marissa Meyer
Cress is probably the most lighthearted book in this whole "top 5" section, mainly because of Captain Thorne. The relationships made me feel happy, the plot kept me at the edge of my seat, and the awesome characters didn't hurt either. Plus, Winter is now my most anticipated of 2015, because I seriously want it now.

1. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
This book broke me. It was so satisfying, while being bittersweet at the same time. Compared to The Mortal Instruments, I felt like this series is well, better for my taste. The characters are more likable, the villain was more scary and the setting were more interesting.

And that is it! This list took a while to compile, because there's just so many good book that I read this year. I tried too include one book per author to avoid repetotions, which was a but of a toughie, but I did it! Anyways, that's it for today and I'll see you tomorrow with another post.

P. S. How are you guys doing in the Winter-re-Read-a-Thon?

No comments:

Post a Comment