Friday, October 17, 2014

The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan Book Review

This is it. This is the end. I will eternally be grateful for my friend who picked The Lightning Thief for me a year ago. Now. Some of you might think that I'm making a book that I read only a year ago a big deal. Well, it is a big deal because this series was what got me into reading middle grade, and ultimately YA, which is now my home base.

Anyway, let's just dive in to the review.

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS. DUH.



Percy & Annabeth: While we didn't get much of them in this book, I enjoyed what we got. I did though, miss both of their POV because I guess I wasn't prepared. I didn't get to say a proper goodbye. In this book, we get to see how Tartarus has affected them, and how they are still fighting back. I loved when he finally, finally said "I love you" to Annabeth :D And that little glimpse that we got that tells us that he and Annabeth will spend their senior year together, have college in New Rome (that's 4 years without monsters), and possibly a life together there too? *hint. So happy for these two :D

"How?" Leo asked, "start a flame war on Twitter?

Frank & Hazel: I was  really really proud of their character development throughout this series in general. Do you remember that awkward "Chinese Canadian baby man", as Arion so gracefully put it? Do you remember that timid girl from the fifth cohort? They're now basically a different version of themselves. The wood stick of Frank's life was solved well, or should I say, unsolved well. I think that Rick didn't solve it on purpose, because the whole point is that it will burn in it's own time, when it's ready. Frank will die when he is destined to.

“Catch that last episode of Doctor Who? Oh, right. You were trudging through the Pit of Eternal Damnation!”

Leo: Leo. What can I say about him that hasn't been said. He was as funny as usual, even though he definitely has gotten more serious in this book. I love all the references to pop culture. For instance, the Hunger Games, Doctor Who, and he actually uses the word 'feels' in this book. Awesome. I liked that he made up with Percy. And that ending though...


"I'm a Leo."
"No, stupid," Leo said. "I'm a Leo. You're a Percy.”

Jason: He was pretty cool in this book. When his mother's ghost appeared, I wasn't shocked. I had been surprised that it didn't cane up sooner, because you don't exactly forget your mother who frickin abandoned you.

"Leo didn't usually think of the ukulele as a sad instrument. (Pathetic, sure. But not sad.) Yet the tune Apollo strummed was so melancholy it broke Leo's feels.“ (Is he mocking us on this? Wow Uncle Rick. Wow.)

Piper: I really liked Piper in this book. She was so kickass at multiple points of the book. Her and Annabeth is the dream team. I also really liked how she made up with Reyna, and they're all now besties :)

“Legion, cuneum formate!’ Reyna yelled. ‘Advance!’ Another cheer on Jason’s right as Percy and Annabeth reunited with the forces of Camp Half-Blood.
‘Greeks!’ Percy yelled. ‘Let’s, um, fight stuff!’ They yelled like banshees and charged.
Jason grinned. He loved the Greeks. They had no organization whatsoever, but they made up for it with enthusiasm.”

Nico: He was incredible. Incredible, I tell you. The amount of character development in this book alone was amazing. He's always been this powerful figure in the series, but you really don't see the extent of that until this book. I loved the father-son moment in this book when Hades was telling how Nico will always be welcomed... And yes, I am a Solangelo shipper :P Will actually snuck up on me, I knew barely anything about him, but I think they're awesome together. "

'It’s none of your business, but I don’t belong. That’s obvious. No one wants me. I’m a child of –’
 ‘Oh, please.’ Will sounded unusually angry. ‘Nobody at Camp Half-Blood ever pushed you away. You have friends – or at least people who would like to be your friend. You pushed yourself away. If you’d get your head out of that brooding cloud of yours for once –’

Reyna: Reyna was a character that I had always respected, but in this book, I grew to like her. She was a baddass, and I didn't know that she has had such a hard life with her father and everything. I really liked how she grew to care for Nico as sort of a little brother, and I think she has changed to a more open person. And what Aphrodite said about her not finding happiness with a demigod, do I sense a demigod-mortal (or possibly god) relationship? I hope she gets her happy ending.

"No!" Polybotes wailed. "Not merchandising rights!"

Something that bothered me was that the battle felt a bit rushed and maybe the ending was too neat. But personally, I'm not complaining.

Overall, I gave this book 5 stars, because while it had flaws, I still loved it. It managed to keep me awake until 1 in the morning in a day where I had two tests. It also managed to make me cry which has NEVER happened before. So. That was my thoughts on the Blood of Olympus. What are your thoughts about it? Tell me on the comment section down below.


No comments:

Post a Comment