Monday, October 13, 2014

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas Book Review

Hi guys! Today I'm going to share my Crown of Midnight Book Review. It's not really a book review as it is a reaction. That being said, this review will be all over the place and will CONTAIN SPOILERS, so please.

DO NOT GO FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE BOOK.

This book starts of with Celaena as the newly crowned Royal Assassin. I thought that it was appropriate that Chaol and Celaena because they hadn't seen the lunatic side of her.


Wait. Farran's dead? Killed by Wesley? And what the heck Arrobyn!? Kill Wesley to balance the blood? AGH! I hate that guy!


Archer... He seemed harmless at first, and their friendship was endearing, because they were, or rather are, slaves and they were kind of childhood friends. But then… I got uneasy...


That opera singer was still reciting the names of her family when she was beheaded… So cruel...


When Chaol and Celaena danced in the ball, for once, they don't care what will happen, and they just enjoy each other's company. :)


I still don't understand what the black rings that the King and Perrington has... They used it to control Kaitlin, are they doing that with Roland too? But I thought he was already cruel? I don’t think I’ll ever forgive him for what he did to Chaol.


I felt so bad for Chaol in this book... He had to choose between what he's been working on his whole life and Celaena...


I really like how Sarah J. Maas weave in her past adventures from the Assassin's Blade, so that if a reader haven't read the novellas (which they should!) They would still understand. And for the people who did, she gives us a sense of 'we knew this before you' feel :D


Oh, when she went out of town for the anniversary of her parent's death... ;(


It's been such a long time since I last heard a character, a male, no less, say a genuine thank you... Authors need to put that more in books.  But seriously though, isn't the dinner that Celaena set up for Chaol the sweetest thing?


Dorian. Why did you ask Yellowlegs about your powers?! I mean, how stupid can you be?! I understand that you're basically on the verge of breaking and stuff, but still, she's an ironteeth!


When we get that one chapter of Nehemia talking to Elena.... I was realizing that Nehemia is going to sacrifice herself...


Oh, when Chaol was kidnapped and she noticed that she was in the same position where she was a few years ago with Sam, it hurts, okay? And when she found out, she basically turned commando. And then Celaena was running to the castle right after she found out about Nehemia's death, and she was saying, "Not again. Not again [...] Please." It's like Sam all over again... And when she attacked Chaol... I don't see how their bond can be mended... At this point, I feel bad for everybody, Chaol, Dorian, and especially Celaena...


When we got that one chapter from the POV of the slave of Callaculla... Nehemia was their ONLY hope of getting out, and to see their dreams getting crushed so heartlessly...


I really like how Dorian is becoming more outspoken.


Celaena torturing Grave was awesome. I also loved how she basically walked in with his head and just tossed it in front of the king. Sassiness.


Now I seriously hate Archer, I mean, he's so twisted for revenge against the King he would literally kill for it.


It's intriguing to see Chaol interact with his father and see what a jerk his father is.


Yellowlegs helped, but I'm glad that Celaena killed her, even though she basically caused war with the witches.


The king has a wyrdkey? That's horrible!


When Chaol found her will and how she gave it all to him, and Celaena said that he'll have something to fall back on, and how he broke down after that… And when Celaena couldn't play the piano anymore...


I was really really creeped out when Celaena went to that secret tunnel where she found the dungeon. And that creature that used to be human... The king is so twisted!


I feel so bad for Nehemia! She went here to fight against the king but she was used instead. The rebels were the one who hired Grave to kill Nehemia because she reported them to the king! And that's only to get on the king's good side! And I hate Archer so frickin much!


I was extremely scared for Chaol when he fought the creature that came through the portal... I loved how Dorian became a baddass with his magic. And Archer that A-HOLE! Ehm. Excuse my language. He just ran away like a coward! And Celaena went all Fae on us! Basically, all of my reaction for the next few pages were: SHITEEE!!! I was so ecstatic when Celaena finally killed Archer!


I was though, a bit irritated when Dorian felt "a surge of jealousy". Just drop it, won't you? She's taken.


I loved when Celaena just came clean and told Chaol everything. We needed that. But when she told him that she can't trust Chaol anymore broke my heart and stomped on it.... It's so clear that they love each other... I'm glad, though, that they didn't get together straightaway. Chaol's going back to his family's court to let Celaena go to Wendlyn... :'(


I was surprised that we got the king's perspective for a bit, and from what I've gathered, he's going to work with the witches. Lovely.


That revelation though.... Seriously. I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!


And now, I shall give you the longest and most heartbreaking quotes I will share with you guys:


“Listen carefully to what I am about to tell you.”
His brows rose. But she didn’t give herself a moment to reconsider, to second-guess her decision.
As succinctly as she could, she told him about the Wyrdkeys. She told him about the Wyrdgates, and about Baba Yellowlegs. She told him about the papers she’d stashed down in the tomb—the riddle with the locations of the three Wyrdkeys. And then she told him that she knew the king had at least one. And that there was a dead creature sealed beneath the library. And that he should never pen the door to the catacombs—never. And that Roland and Kaltain might be part of some bigger, deadlier plan.
And when that horrible truth had been revealed, she unfastened the Eye of Elena from her neck and folded it into his palm. “Never take it off. It will protect you from harm.”
He was shaking his head, his face deathly pale. “Celaena, I can’t—”
“I don’t care if you go looking for the keys, but someone has to know about them. Someone other than me. All the proof is in the tomb.”
Chaol grabbed her hand with his free one. “Celaena—”
“Listen,” she repeated. “If you hadn’t convinced the king to send me away, we could have … figured them out together. But now …”
Two minutes, the sea captain shouted. Chaol was just staring at her, such grief and fear in his eyes that speech failed her.
And then she did the most reckless thing she’d ever done in her life. She stood on her toes and whispered the words into his ear.
The words that would make him understand, understand why it was so important to her, and what it meant when she said she would return. And he would hate her forever for it, once he understood.
“What does that mean?” he demanded.
She smiled sadly. “You’ll figure it out. And when you do …” She shook her head, knowing she shouldn’t say it, but doing it anyway. “When you do, I want you to remember that it wouldn’t have made any difference to me. It’s never made any difference to me when it came to you. I’d still pick you. I’ll always pick you.”
“Please—please, just tell me what that means.”
But there was no time, so she shook her head and stepped back.
Chaol took one step toward her, though. One step, then he said, “I love you.”
She strangled the sob that built in her throat. “I’m sorry,” she said, hoping he would remember those words later—later, when he knew everything.
Her legs found the strength to move. She took a breath. And with a final look at Chaol, she strode up the gangplank. Taking no notice of those onboard, she set down her sack and took up a place by the railing. She looked down at the dock to find Chaol still standing by the walkway as it was lifted.
The ship’s captain called for them to cast off. Sailors scurried, ropes were untied, tossed, and tied again, and the ship lurched. Her hands clasped the railing so hard they hurt.
The ship began moving. And Chaol—the man she hated and loved so much that she could hardly think around him—just stood there, watching her go.
The current grabbed the ship, and the city began to diminish. The ocean breeze soon caressed her neck, but she never stopped staring at Chaol. She stared toward him until the glass castle was a sparkling speck in the distance. She stared toward him until there was only gleaming ocean around her. She stared toward him until the sun dropped beyond the horizon and a smattering of stars hung overhead.
It was only when her eyelids drooped and she swayed on her feet that Celaena stopped staring toward Chaol." My babies...


So yeah! That was all my Crown of Midnight thoughts, and I hoped you enjoyed it. What are some of your thoughts on the book?

No comments:

Post a Comment