Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Legend by Marie Lu Book Review

Halo guys! Today's post is a book review (haven't done those in a while, have I?) of a book that I re-read not too long ago -Legend by Marie Lu. The second time I read it, I think it was even better, because I've been recommending this book so much to my friends so they can read it during the summer and I feel much more qualified to do so with the details fresh in my mind.

I'm going to start with the non-spoilery part of the review so that I can hopefully convince you to read this book. Legend is a solid first book filled with action and suspense that will keep you flipping the pages until the very last word. The underlying romance isn't really a main part of it, but it is one that I certainly enjoyed. The writing is straight-forward without feeling rushed, but you won't even notice it because you're just so into the story. June and Day are to very independent strong character, but they are so smart, and I have no idea how to say this without it sounding like a cliche, but it's not. Just. READ THE BOOK.

Ehm. See? This is one of the reasons why I don't do book reviews. Anyways, sorry if I scared you a little bit there. I don't have much more to say that's won't spoil, so I'll just go on ahead and talk about the book in depth.

SPOILERS AHEAD

In the beginning, when Metias picked June up because of her being a trouble maker (I don't know about you, but climbing the however many foot building was pretty epic), and then to see Thomas acting like an innocent little thing, and at the time, I already knew he wasn't, so I was just screaming at him and hating him from the start. I mean, how could he do that?! June's attitude about the poor people was irritating, but I was already thinking of how it's going to change so much and just how ironic it is. And then the fateful moment of June stepping up for Tess and fighting Kade (love the fight, by the way). Day rescuing June and us slowly seeing June try so hard to not feel pity for them. And the cheap wine scene was such a good one, with Day kissing June, and them realizing for the first time :). But then Day made that faint gesture of taking his pendant that wasn't there which tipped off June, and the horror that June must've felt to see that the one person that has made her feel happy after Metias is his supposed killer... (DAMN YOU THOMAS!!) Day coming back to his house to try and rescue his beloved family, and the panic and dread was almost too much. I had forgotten just how young Eden was -he's barely 10, and to see him in such a weak state was painful. I also realized that Day's mother never knew that her son is a criminal, and Day only got to really talk to his mother for frickin 5 second before she's killed
WHY. Again, DAMN YOU THOMAS!!! And then how June still couldn't bring herself to believe fully that Day killed Metias... Okay, I hate the fudgin commander and how cruel she is, and rubbing it in Day about how his mother. And June acting so harsh Day, but how in their head their all trying to not feel sympathy towards each other. June's change in her thoughts of the people in the slums after experiencing it first hand with the dress, and seeing Anden for the first time :) I love when June started to realize how horrible the Republic is -such a light bulb moment. And then seeing Day so hopeless... Also loved when Day is being smug to Thomas about him kissing June :D. Not long after, June sounded so sad (I listened to the audiobook), and how she said that she thought that he would be here for a long time... *cries "The look on her face is so heartbreaking, that I wish for a second that I could hold her." Day's necklace aka the last remnants of the US, and his memories of seeing his family whole and happy... I hate Thomas for a lot of things, but I especially hate his possessiveness of June. I mean, seriously, he should die. The sort of scavenger hunt for Metias' massage was quite interesting to see just how smart June is, and how she finds about her parents death. All the flashbacks with Metias was hard to read, just because you know what happens to him in the end. I loved how June made the deal with Kaede, and the actual escape was very thrilling. I completely forgot about John's sacrifice, and I can't help but think of how Day once again lost a father figure in his life. And then June and Day woke up only to see "Day's" execution played over and over again. And how June pictures Ollie alone in the house, the last piece of Metias she has left...

"You take it all one day at a time. You try to walk in the light."

And that is it! This review was so all over the place, it's a miracle if you understood some of it, but I just needed to vent about all my feels about this amazing book :D

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this series! It's such a fabulous dystopian series! I'm so glad that you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! Champion was one of the best (in my opinion) conclusion because of that epilogue :D

      Delete